Register for FAN’s Annual Celebration!
We are preparing a wonderful celebration with friends old and new—save your spot and register for FAN’s virtual Annual Dinner Celebration on Sunday, November 21, at 5:30 PM! Join us for a festive evening as we celebrate our 10th birthday and Paul Benz’s years of service to justice across WA, while also looking towards our future together! Tickets are by donation, and the YouTube event link will be sent out to those who register before November 21. Learn more at our event webpage and register at: bit.ly/FANDinner2021.
In the meantime, here are some opportunities to make it special:
- Host a Watch Party! Gather a small group of your family, housemates, and friends to watch the event together—we’ll be sending tips on how to safely do that and make it festive; let us know when you register.
- Sponsor the Celebration! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for sponsorship information. We are so grateful to those who have already pledged their sponsorship, posted weekly at our event webpage!
- Volunteer! Help support Watch Parties! Contact email@example.com if you’d like to offer your services.
Take Action Today for Working Families
Today and next week will be critical for the Budget Reconciliation negotiations in Congress. FAN joined our national partners this week in calling for the extension of the Child Tax Credit and a pathway to citizenship. Your voice is needed too. Please make a call or send an email today, suggestions below:
- As Congress works to finalize details of its Build Back Better plan this week, it’s crucial to continue to advocate for the expanded Child Tax Credit to be made permanent, include ITIN filers, and be fully refundable, a critical equity component that ensures a full credit to those with low and no incomes. There is clear evidence of how CTC has cut child poverty in a report released this week, showing how CTC helped families meet basic needs.
Contact your members of Congress today!
Here is some WA-specific information you can include in your email: WA Budget & Policy Center’s analysis of the impact of the Child Tax Credit in WA; by-the-numbers impact of the Child Tax Credit in WA; why full refundability of the Child Tax Credit is critical for advancing racial equity.
- Add your organization to a sign-on letter on the expanded CTC & child nutrition priorities to WA’s Congressional delegation, with Northwest Harvest & the Anti-Hunger & Nutrition Coalition: You can read the letter here, and complete the sign-on form to have your org added.
Jewish Rally to Build Back Better, Thursday, October 29 at 3pm ET/12pm PT, online. Bend the Arc and Dayenu: A Jewish Call to Climate Action are calling Jews all across the country to rise for a pathway to citizenship and the ENTIRE Build Back Better bill. Join the Jewish digital rally next Thursday to demand action.
Meet Our New Staff!
We are delighted to welcome two additional staff to FAN’s team this Fall. Elizabeth Dickinson will be working part-time as Partnership Coordinator, and Juli Prentice, as a part-time seminary intern. They will be connecting with our Network of Advocating Faith Communities especially in Western Washington, alongside regional organizers.
Meet Elizabeth: I am passionately committed to justice advocacy and community-building as central dimensions of our sacred being and calling. Currently, in addition to FAN, I work part-time with Our Redeemer’s Lutheran Church as their social justice coordinator, and volunteer with University Congregational UCC to create opportunities for us to do justice. Before this position, I worked with young adult advocacy interns through the Justice Leadership Program.
My work is informed by a Christian seminary degree in global theologies. I am also deeply influenced by participating in Jewish services and practices with my family.
Meet Juli: Juli Prentice (she/her) is a Master of Divinity student at Seattle University School of Theology and Ministry. She joins FAN as an Outreach and
Organizing Intern in her final year of study and looks forward to graduating this Spring. Juli is a Candidate In-Care for Ordination in the Northern Lights Region Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). A long time resident of Snohomish County, Juli is particularly passionate about organizing for progressive values in the North Puget Sound area of Washington State.
Final Tax Town Halls
Don’t miss your chance to weigh in on tax reform in our state! Two final Tax Town Halls coming up. The legislature’s Tax Structure Work Group is hosting town hall meetings to gather public input on six possible new tax scenarios for Washington State. The Group’s Scenario F includes a progressive income tax. We are grateful to our Economic Justice Working Group leaders (Steve Clagett, Jane Sisk, Bob Beekman) who have amplified this conversation in cluster meetings and have provided prep sessions for those willing to testify. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to attend and testify. We urge all to weigh in via the survey before November 5 at https://taxworkgroup.org/survey.
- North/Central Puget Sound Town Hall (legislative districts 1, 11, 21, 32, 34, 36, 37, 43, 46) will take place on Wednesday, October 27 – sign up here for the 2:30-4:00 or 6:30-8:00 session.
Sign up for a (Virtual) FAN Cluster Near You!
We’ve had a great Fall Cluster season, and two remain! Join us this Saturday 10/23 in Spokane or online Tuesday 10/26 if you live in Tacoma/Pierce County. Clusters are a great opportunity to get to know local advocates in your area and connect FAN with the work you are passionate about!