Advocating for Economic Justice and Reducing Poverty
Expand free lunches to all students [HB 1878 Rep. Riccelli/SB 5798 Sen. C. Wilson] Expand the community eligibility process statewide, which would ensure that all schools eligible to use CEP are adequately funded to serve healthy, free school meals to all their students.
Create a statewide multilingual online tool [HB 1833 Rep. Berg] for school meal applications and programs for low income students.
Sustain and expand Safety Net supports such as
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) [SB 5838 Sen. Nobles/HB 1947 Rep. Frame] Providing a monthly diaper subsidy for those receiving TANF.
- Increase the Aged, Blind and Disabled (ABD) monthly cash grant from $197 to $417.
- Make Paid Family and Medical Leave [SB 5649 Sen. Robinson] more compassionate and equitable, and easier for workers, health care providers, and employers.
- and emergency food.
Working Families Tax Credit (WFTC) implementation [HB 1888 Rep. Thai] Budget request of $10M and expand eligibility and language access.
Tax on Excessive Wealth [HB 1406 Rep. Frame/SB 5426 Sen. Hunt] Billionaires pay their fair share with a new 1% tax on the stocks, bonds and other intangible assets over $1 billion.
Make the Estate Tax More Progressive [HB 1465 Rep. Orwall] Eliminate the estate tax for smaller estates while raising the rates for higher valued estates.
Digital Equity Act [HB 1460 Rep. Gregerson] Close the digital equity divide by increasing the accessibility and affordability of telecommunications services, devices, and training.
Communities for Our Colleges coalition racial equity reforms Create a robust aid program to provide resources for ancillary aid to students, including childcare, food, transportation, and medical care, with special emphasis on access to childcare services.
- Make higher education more affordable for students [HB 1659 Rep. Slatter] by bridging the gap between cost and need to reduce barriers, improve opportunities, and advance economic security. Move Family Median Income from 50% to 70%.
- Create an outreach program [HB 1835 Rep. Hansen] that targets BIPOC and low-income students
- Improve diversity, equity, and mental health [HB 1840 Rep. Ortiz-Self] Create a commission to consider what it would take to make free community college and expand mental health access
- Create the Washington career and college pathways innovation challenge program [SB 5789 Sen. Randall].