HIAS Refugee & Immigrant Shabbat
Congregation Beth Shalom, the Jewish Coalition for Immigrant Justice NW, Temple Beth Am Immigrant Justice Action Team, and Hertzl-Ner Tamid invite you to a weekend of learning into action. We will make connections between our Jewish identities and standing in solidarity with immigrants and refugees in our community. Join us for a weekend of powerful speakers and workshops!
Shabbat, March 28, 9:30-2:00pm
9:30am Shabbat services with D’var Torah from Talya Gillman
1:15pm “Living in Limbo: An Intimate Discussion with a Seattle DACA Recipient” with Immigrant Rights Advocate and Community Organizer Graciela Nuñez Pargas
Sunday, March 29, 1:30pm–4:30pm
Welcome from Congregation Beth Shalom’s Rabbi Kurland and Meghan Kelly-Stallings, Citizenship Program and Policy Specialist, Seattle Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs
Followed by Workshops:
- Representing Immigrant Children + Ethics of Representing Minors
- Deportation Defense Tools: Bond Fund & Beyond
- A Taste of Rapid Response and Know Your Rights Training
- Everything you wanted to know about Accompaniment and Bond Hearing Training too!
- The Why, How, and Where of Providing Home Hospitality
Participating organizations include: Seattle Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs, Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), and the Seattle Interfaith Migrant Rights Network (SIMRN).
Consider bringing a donation for the Alternative Food Bank—either non-perishable foods or Safeway gift cards.