Our Network of Advocating Faith Communities (NAFC) comprise a growing network of over 100 communities across Washington State, committed to partnering with each other and with the Faith Action Network staff for more effective advocacy.
FAN provides advocating faith communities with:
- Resources, training, and strategy for effective advocacy.
- Skilled staff members for preaching and teaching.
- Opportunities to communicate and collaborate with other congregations across the state.
- Regular legislative updates and alerts via email.
- Representation in the halls of the state legislature.
- Opportunities to communicate directly with legislators and policy makers, including our annual Interfaith Advocacy Day.
- Assistance in coordinating public forums or community forums.
NAFC’s commit to at least five of the following activities, one in each category:
- Invite a FAN staff person to preach during worship or lead an adult education class.
- Convene a study with a focus on examples of advocacy in our sacred texts.
- Arrange for a presentation about current public policy issues in an adult education class.
- Study the Social Statements of our faith partners in an adult education class.
- Keep advocacy visible within the faith community by including it in the monthly newsletter of the congregation, as well as in other publications such as bulletins, signboards, and websites.
- Join with other faith communities in sponsoring a community educational forum.
- Send one or more people to Interfaith Advocacy Day as faith community representatives.
- Form a Rapid Response Team to mobilize the faith community to receive and respond to e-advocacy alerts from FAN, especially during the legislative session.
- Hold an offering of letters to federal, state, or local elected officials.
- Lead or promote voter registration in the community surrounding the place of worship.
- Join with other local faith communities in hosting public officials at a community forum.
- Attend the annual Faith Action Network fundraising dinner in November
- Make FAN a line item in your faith community’s budget
- Collect a special offering for FAN